Skip to main content

Gold Brook Covered Bridge - Stowe, Vermont

 


Also known as Emily's Bridge or the Stowe Hollow Covered Bridge, the Gold Brook Covered Bridge crosses over Gold Brook in Stowe, Vermont. The 49 foot long bridge was built by John W. Smith in 1844 and the bridge was rehabilitated in 1979. The last historic covered bridge in Stowe, Vermont is also the last remaining Howe through truss bridge built in the 19th Century that is still on a public roadway in Vermont. While the Gold Brook Covered Bridge is set aside a few miles away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Stowe, the big story with this covered bridge is steeped in local legend and lore.

The Gold Brook Covered Bridge has stories that relate to the paranormal. Many people claim to have experienced strange events at the bridge and some even believe that the bridge is haunted. The covered bridge even has an alternate name of Emily's Bridge because of this lore. There are a few competing stories about the haunted nature of the bridge, all of which include a woman by the name of Emily and none of which have a happy ending. One story goes that Emily was in love with a man named Donald, who did not care much for Emily, but managed to get her pregnant. When Emily's father found out about the pregnancy, both Emily and Donald jumped to their deaths from the bridge. Another story goes where a woman named Emily planned to meet her fiancé at the bridge so they could elope. But her fiancé never showed up, and in despair, she hung herself from the rafters.

Even though the bridge may or may not be haunted by Emily's ghost, the bridge is frequented by amateur ghost hunters, tourists and others hoping to see something supernatural. It is possible that the story of Emily’s Bridge doesn’t go back to the 19th Century, but rather during the 1970s. A woman by the name of Nancy Wolfe Stead claimed that she was the one who created the story of Emily to scare local youth. But regardless of whether you are interested in paranormal activity or you're like me and just like to visit covered bridges, the Gold Brook Covered Bridge is worth the detour if you are in the Stowe area.

The Gold Brook Covered Bridge was named after the Gold Brook that the bridge spans over. The name of Gold Brook came about as someone had found gold in the stream in the past.

Inside the covered bridge. It fits one lane of traffic, or a few humans across.


How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Bridgehunter.com - Gold Brook Covered Bridge 45-08-12
Vermont Covered Bridge Society - Gold Brook Covered Bridge
Scenic Vermont Photography - Gold Brook Covered Bridge/Stowe Hollow Bridge/Emily’s Bridge in Stowe Vermont
Vermont Community News Group - The Bridges of Lamoille County: 13 covered bridges span local rivers, streams
Stowe Country Homes - Emily’s Covered Bridge in Stowe, VT
Vermonter.com - Emily’s Bridge of Stowe – Vermont’s Most Famous Ghost Story
Obscure Vermont - Emily's Bridge?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old US Route 60/70 through Hell (Chuckwall Valley Road and Ragsdale Road)

Back in 2016 I explored some of the derelict roadways of the Sonoran Desert of Riverside County which were part of US Route 60/70; Chuckwalla Valley Road and Ragsdale Road. US 60 and US 70 were not part of the original run of US Routes in California.  According to USends.com US 60 was extended into California by 1932.  US 60 doesn't appear on the California State Highway Map until the 1934 edition. USends.com on US 60 endpoints 1934 State Highway Map Conversely US 70 was extended into California by 1934, it first appears on the 1936 State Highway Map. USends.com on US 70 endpoints 1936 State Highway Map When US 60 and US 70 were extended into California they both utilized what was Legislative Route Number 64 from the Arizona State Line west to Coachella Valley.  LRN 64 was part of the 1919 Third State Highway Bond Act routes.  The original definition of LRN 64 routed between Mecca in Blythe and wasn't extended to the Arizona State Line until 1931 acc...

Trimmer Springs Road (Fresno County)

Trimmer Springs Road is an approximately forty-mile rural highway located in Fresno County.  The corridor begins near in California State Route 180 in Centerville and extends to Blackrock Road at the Kings River in the Sierra Nevada range near the Pacific Gas & Electric Company town of Balch Camp. The roadway is named after the former Trimmer Springs Resort and was originally constructed to facilitate access to the Sanger Log Flume.  Trimmer Springs Road was heavily modified and elongated after construction of Pine Flat Dam broke ground in 1947.   Part 1; the history of Trimmer Springs Road Much of the original alignment of Trimmer Springs Road was constructed to facilitate access to the Sanger Log Flume.   The  Kings River Lumber Company  had been established in 1888 in the form of a 30,000-acre purchase of forest lands in Converse Basin.  This purchase lied immediately west of Grant Grove and came to be known as "Millwood."  The co...

When was Ventura Avenue east of downtown Fresno renamed to Kings Canyon Road? (California State Route 180)

California State Route 180 was one of the original Sign State Routes designated in August 1934.  The highway east of Fresno originally utilized what was Ventura Avenue and Dunlap Road to reach what was then General Grant National Park.  By late year 1939 the highway was extended through the Kings River Canyon to Cedar Grove.   In 1940 General Grant National Park would be expanded and rebranded as Kings Canyon National Park.  The Kings Canyon Road designation first appeared in publications circa 1941 when the California State Route 180 bypass of Dunlap was completed.  Kings Canyon Road ultimately would replace the designation of Dunlap Road from Dunlap to Centerville and Ventura Avenue west to 1st Street in Fresno.   The Kings Canyon Road would remain largely intact until March 2023 when the Fresno Council designated Cesar Chavez Boulevard.  Cesar Chavez Boulevard was designated over a ten-mile corridor over what was Kings Canyon Road, remaini...