Skip to main content

Mansfield Covered Bridge - Indiana


 
The Mansfield Covered Bridge is the longest of the thirty-one covered bridges located in Parke County, Indiana. This Burr arch truss covered bridge spans 275 feet across the Big Raccoon Creek in the village of Mansfield, just off of Indiana State Road 59 (IN 59). Built in 1867 by covered bridge builder J.J. Daniels, the bridge cost $12,000 to construct. By that time, Daniels was well established around Parke County for his covered bridge work, as Daniels built twelve of the covered bridges in Parke County, nine of which are still standing today. It is possible to walk underneath the Mansfield Covered Bridge and take a look at some of his construction techniques in building the bridge. 

Most of the covered bridges in Parke County, including the Mansfield Covered Bridge, rest upon Indiana Sandstone that was quarried locally in the Big Raccoon Valley. The quarry exported stone for the construction of the famous brownstone buildings found in places like Chicago and Brooklyn, but also played their role in local projects as well. For a while, IN 59 passed over the bridge, but has since been bypassed just to the west. The bridge's roof and decks were replaced in 1980 and 1990. In 2006, after a storm tore the bridge's central roof off, repairs were finished a year later.

Mansfield, Indiana has long been a center of commerce in the area, and the covered bridge is a centerpiece of its heyday as a mill town. Mansfield was founded around 1820 as New Dublin, then was known as Dickson's Mills and Strain's Mills before being named Mansfield during the 1830s. Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon Church, crossed the Big Raccoon Creek in Mansfield in 1834 on his way to Missouri. Mansfield was built around the historic Mansfield Roller Mill, likely used to roll down grain. Having the covered bridge located near the mill was great for the transport of goods and people to and from the mill. Today, just a few historic buildings remain in Mansfield.

Today, the Parke County Covered Bridge Festival brings plenty of activity to Mansfield, as this covered bridge is one of the most popular bridges to visit during the festival every fall. In fact, there's also ground for vendors to set up next to the covered bridge. However, I visited on a peaceful day in June of 2019 and found that the Mansfield Covered Bridge was great to explore, even when quiet and in a passive setting. 

Inside the covered bridge.

Mansfield Covered Bridge portal.

Side profile of the covered bridge

Some sources say the Mansfield Covered Bridge is 247 feet in length, other sources show the bridge is 275 feet long.

Historic marker showing the early years of Mansfield, Indiana.

Mansfield Roller Mill.


How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
They Used To Call Me Poindexter - Bridges of Indiana's Counties - Parke Co. - #38 Mansfield (4/31)
Mansfield Restoration - The Old Mansfield Village Story

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trimmer Springs Road (Fresno County)

Trimmer Springs Road is an approximately forty-mile rural highway located in Fresno County.  The corridor begins near in California State Route 180 in Centerville and extends to Blackrock Road at the Kings River in the Sierra Nevada range near the Pacific Gas & Electric Company town of Balch Camp. The roadway is named after the former Trimmer Springs Resort and was originally constructed to facilitate access to the Sanger Log Flume.  Trimmer Springs Road was heavily modified and elongated after construction of Pine Flat Dam broke ground in 1947.   Part 1; the history of Trimmer Springs Road Much of the original alignment of Trimmer Springs Road was constructed to facilitate access to the Sanger Log Flume.   The  Kings River Lumber Company  had been established in 1888 in the form of a 30,000-acre purchase of forest lands in Converse Basin.  This purchase lied immediately west of Grant Grove and came to be known as "Millwood."  The co...

When was Ventura Avenue east of downtown Fresno renamed to Kings Canyon Road? (California State Route 180)

California State Route 180 was one of the original Sign State Routes designated in August 1934.  The highway east of Fresno originally utilized what was Ventura Avenue and Dunlap Road to reach what was then General Grant National Park.  By late year 1939 the highway was extended through the Kings River Canyon to Cedar Grove.   In 1940 General Grant National Park would be expanded and rebranded as Kings Canyon National Park.  The Kings Canyon Road designation first appeared in publications circa 1941 when the California State Route 180 bypass of Dunlap was completed.  Kings Canyon Road ultimately would replace the designation of Dunlap Road from Dunlap to Centerville and Ventura Avenue west to 1st Street in Fresno.   The Kings Canyon Road would remain largely intact until March 2023 when the Fresno Council designated Cesar Chavez Boulevard.  Cesar Chavez Boulevard was designated over a ten-mile corridor over what was Kings Canyon Road, remaini...

Interstate 99 at 30

When it comes to the entirety of the Interstate Highway System, Interstate 99, when fully completed, is nothing more than 161 miles of a roughly 48,000-mile system (0.3% of total length).  Yet, to more than just a handful of people, the number '99' rubs them the wrong way. Interstate 99 follows the path of two US Highway Routes - US 220 from the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Bedford north to Interstate 80 and then to US 15/Interstate 180 in Williamsport.  It then follows US 15 from Williamsport north to Interstate 86 in Corning, New York. Interstate 99 runs with US 220 through much of Central Pennsylvania. (Doug Kerr) US 220 from Cumberland, Maryland to Interstate 80 and US 15 north of Williamsport were designated part of the Appalachian Highway System in 1965.  Construction to upgrade both corridors progressed steadily but slowly.  In 1991, the two corridors were included as a National High Priority Corridor.  The route from Cumberland to Corning consisted of High P...